Tuesday, November 7, 2017

When I was the Forest


When I was the stream, when I was the
forest, when I was still the field,
when I was every hoof, foot,
fin and wing, when I
was the sky
itself,

no one ever asked me did I have a purpose, no one ever
wondered was there anything I might need,
for there was nothing
I could not
love.

It was when I left all we once were that
the agony began, the fear and questions came,
and I wept, I wept. And tears
I had never known
before.

So I returned to the river, I returned to
the mountains. I asked for their hand in marriage again,
I begged -I begged to wed every object
and creature,

and when they accepted,
God was ever present in my arms.
                                             And He did not say,
“Where have you
been?”

For then I knew my soul - every soul - has always held
Him.

*

Meister Eckhart 
(1260 – 1328)


No comments:

Post a Comment