Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Turning Field of Stars


Deep in myself,
too deep for me to reach
is the earth
I am that earth.
The heavens wait for my arrival
I am those heavens
which stretch down to receive me.
I am a pilgrim
travelling this wheel of stars
seeking a new heaven
and a new earth
I am those stars
that watched and saw
how the old heaven and the old earth
had passed away.
And so among the turning field of stars
I tread the underworld above
to free myself from these cycles
of dialectic powers:
these eons with their traps,
temptations of thought 
before I'll find that light
which leads me through the refining fire
to my transfiguration
and the resurrecting of the inner God.






Painting by Briton Riviere


2 comments:

  1. A mystical poem of such beauty! The poem expresses so much in so few words! It seems to describe not only an awakening (transfiguration) but that we are at one with the universe, one with the underlying unity. Emma writes, "I am that earth... I am those heavens." The universe wants to awaken through us, so who is doing the awakening? Her mention of the "dialectic powers: these eons with their traps, temptations of thought..." seem to point to samsara, the illusory aspect of our world born of duality or separation. The last line, "the resurrecting of the inner God" is wonderful because it is not one's little ego, the false self that transfigures or changes - it's the inner God that awakens through form. The inner God has always been there but now manifests more clearly.

    I love some of the phrases she uses like "And so among the turning field of stars, I tread the underworld above..." And "I am a pilgrim, travelling this wheel of stars, seeking a new heaven and a new earth" Beautiful lines! Thank you for writing a great poem and sharing it.

    A very evocative painting by Riviere. It looks like Jesus when he went on his fast for 40 days and nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph, I am grateful for your response and the light that you shine on the words of my poem.

    Regarding what you said about the painting: "It looks like Jesus when he went on his fast for 40 days and nights." You know it!

    ReplyDelete