Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Perfectly Imperfect



Perfectly imperfect


No sound at all
it is darker here
and chill is holding me in its grasp
almost never to let go of me.

Where am I?
And where is that place
where I once was
somewhere between then and now?
How will I know?

I am frightened
I did not know that I could feel this way,
but when I see now
how my wings are broken... 

Was I not perfect then
in my eternal longing
to become
what I perhaps can never be?

Utter loneliness is overtaking me
still no sound is heard
only my heart beating.

I feel my spirit leaving me
that immaculate reflection of you,
while whispering my sacred vow.

My form is dissolving
in this dark sanctuary around me,
but then I can hear your voice - at last...


"Even angels have to run their course,
for sacredness is in your wings
but your essential flight
is the solitary one."













5 comments:

  1. Broken wings are an expression of the soul finding itself locked in a material existence. Again you have found the words to articulate this, that sense of separation from our other self. We must all 'run the course' of our earthly life, and we reach out in the silence in our striving to touch that 'immaculate reflection'. A beautiful and moving poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree Hawkwood, this is a beautiful and moving poem. A very touching poem that expresses what many of us have felt too often. Often we must experience intimately this darkness and deep sense of separation to know what it really feels like. Only when we descend into its depths and look into its heart and soul can we find a door. This poem describes so poignantly what this feels like. Thank you Emma for this beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soul desires expression and wings to fly.
    Thank you both so much for your heartfelt reacton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma I read your poem several dozen times throughout the day today. Each time I felt a deeper understanding as to what the message was for me personally. "Perfectly Imperfect" describes the transitions or shall I say revelations that are transpiring within my spiritual life as I write. "My soul is dissolving" in the darkness, the quiet of no sound, a sense of loneliness, with the ultimate moments of transitioning from an old self to a new self. I am beginning to enjoy my wings already! Thank you for such a deeply moving inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Deborah, for sharing your thoughts about my poem. Your words reflect so well the way in which poetry - and all art - is made relevant by each individual interpretation, and so becomes personally relevant to each individual. I am so glad that you are beginning to enjoy your wings again!

      Delete