Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Light of the Year


Child of silver, child of white
sunrise pale and sunset amber
lace from the dew of a thousand dawns
woven by the meadow’s slumber.
In your hands a precious light
to step the pathway’s coming year
with all that time and light adorns.
For all that happens on the path
By you is blessed and meaningful
whether for me is bliss or wrath
and whether clear or not-so-clear.

One thing only I would ask:
release your treasure gradually
through sunsets’ gold and seasons’ turning
so the pathway I may see
in a perfect twelve-month burning.






Painting by Gaston la Touche

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful poem filled with rich imagery, lyrical beauty, and wisdom. I love these lines,
    "For all that happens on the path
    By you is blessed and meaningful
    whether for me is bliss or wrath
    and whether clear or not-so-clear."
    Blessed by whom?
    By the light that we are, "In your hands a precious light..."
    This light means to me our divine essence, our true nature, who we truly are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Emma, my wonderful friend...how absolutely beautiful, deeply moving and always profound and soulful...I feel such spiritual essence shining from your words and poetry! And such a gorgeous image to match your beauty and light!
    HUgs and Many Blessings to you this new year!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Victoria, sometimes I'm just not sure myself where these things come from. When I'm writing my poems I just write, and if I am open (and lucky!) these gifts from the unknown appear. I think this time it had as much to do with this particular painting, which itself inspired the poem. Thank you so much for your warm words -and hugs and many blessings to you as well for the year to come! ♥

      Delete
  3. This poem is pretty. Moves you in different ways as the reader. Each phrase has it's messages lying within. Ultimately sharing the lesson on sustainability of light in lieu of misguided use that will exhaust the flame prematurely. Dear Emma your selection of words flowing through the lace and the beauty fits so well as one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your appreciative words, dear Deborah.

      Delete