Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Angel


Angel

Oh, if only you knew how your face changes
when in the midst of our silent, pure uniting glance,
you lose yourself, turn inwards and move away from 
me !
Like a landscape, that just before was so clear
you become clouded, shutting me out.
Then I wait. I wait silently, often for a long time.
And were I someone such as you
then the pain of a love scorned would kill me.
But now…
now I have infinite patience from the Blessed.
So now, unperturbed, I wait for you,
whenever you might come.
And I take this soft reproach,
not as a reproach, but as absolution.

*

O wüßtest du, wie sehr dein Antlitz sich
Verändert, wenn du mitten in dem Blick,
Dem stillen reinen, der dich mir vereint,
Dich innerlich verlierst und von mir kehrst!
Wie eine Landschaft, die noch eben hell,
Bewölkt es sich und schließt mich von dir aus.
Dann warte ich. Dann warte schweigend ich
Oft lange. Und wär ich ein Mensch wie du,
Mich tötete verschmähter Liebe Pein.
So aber gab unendliche Geduld
Der Vater mir und unerschütterlich
Erwarte ich dich, wann du immer kommst.
Und diesen sanften Vorwurf selber nimm
Als Vorwurf nicht, als keusche Botschaft nur.

Christian Morgenstern

(1871 - 1914)




Painting: Odilon Redon

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. Thank you for sharing this sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kristen for your heartfelt comment about this post. Redon and Morgenstern alike touch the soul's inner world and your response to this makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw this painting by Redon I was instantly in communion! It is titled Angel. But for me, it is anyone and no one. This entity is immersed in infinite light of Self. It reminds me of the quote by Padmasambhava,
    "Remember the clear light, the pure clear white light from which everything in the universe comes, to which everything in the universe returns; the original nature of your own mind. The natural state of the universe unmanifest. Let go into the clear light, trust it, merge with it. It is your own true nature, it is home."

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear friend, your words leave me silent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emma..powerful illuminating words..and such a sacred image..gentle face..vibing with such beauty and peace..and also a quality so empowering and sacred..it is unknowable!
    Blessings!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victoria, 'unknowable' is a wonderful word to use, because the heart of the mystery is not 'unknowable' in the sense that one day we might discover what it is, but that its nature, its very essence, remains unknowable.
    I am happy that both painting and poem touched you.

    ReplyDelete